October 27, 2008

A little pregnancy etiquette…

For about the last six weeks the comments over my growing tummy have greatly increased… (I’ve attached pictures for your viewing pleasure.)

Let me just share a little “pregnancy etiquette” for those of you who are either not pregnant or who are ever around a pregnant person. Trust me, it will protect you from our look of death and/or tears:

Pregnancy Etiquette Tip #1: We know we are huge… trust us… we are with our huge bellies 24 hours a day. We get to wake up every morning (after not sleeping all night) and realize that yet another thing doesn’t fit! So please do not say anything like: "Wow you look like you are going to pop, I’m sorry to say but you are really huge, or either you're pregnant or you really overate"-- or something along those lines– this is not funny to us! And—yes this may come as a shock, but you are not giving us some new information! Oh REALLY—I look like I’m going to pop?? Because I didn’t even notice this gigantic watermelon underneath my shirt!! (BTW-all of these I’ve had said to me within the last week)

Pregnancy Etiquette Tip #2: Lying is great! We don’t care if you tell us we look great and “Oh my gosh there is no way you're 9 months along” we gladly welcome these comments… even if it’s a lie.

Pregnancy Etiquette Tip #3: Don’t tell me your pregnancy horror stories… In case you didn’t notice—I’m about to have this thing and you telling me how bad you ripped, how the doctor almost didn’t make it, or how your stretch marks are so bad you look like a zebra are NOT things I need or want to hear.

Pregnancy Etiquette Tip #4: Last but not least... Basically, let’s take note from dear old Thumper from the movie Bambi—if you don’t have something nice, uplifting, or generally pleasant to say—keep your mouths shut!


Love you all!! :)

9 comments:

n.davis said...

haha. i love ya. seriously..and i'm being totally serious. you don't look big AT ALL. just wait until i have a baby..i saw how tall ladies carry thier babies, not pretty. at least you have the cutest round little belly ever. tall girls get HUGE pointy bellies. hahah.

I can't wait for your next couples of weeks to be over so you can meet your little guy. Best of luck, and call us when he comes. :D


email me at nikkisheaj@gmail.com i need to add you to my blog still, and i don't have your email address.

J and B Martin said...

I love your cute belly!! I'm so glad you posted pictures! You are definitely a hot mama while pregnant..seriously! I can't believe he's almost here..Good Luck, we're so happy for you guys!

Doug & Angie Gray said...

That is awesome. I would add one more. When is it ok to touch a complete strangers stomach. I was in the elevator the other day and this lady just touches my stomach.

John, Amanda and Clara said...

I would like to add one too: Please do not stare at a pregnant woman's belly. Have you never seen one before? Yes, I am huge, uncomfortable and ready to pop, but you didn't have to say it with your eyes!

ed and brooke said...

It makes me so happy that you posted this. So many people need to realize what is okay and not okay to say to pregnant women. We hope you're doing well!

Trevor-Jessica Summerhays said...

Laura, you are so cute! I am so happy you posted photos! I think you are so cute pregnant, and you definitely don't look like you are nine months pregnant!!! The baby is going to be so adorable too, you guys have to send us photos so we'll sorta feel like we are there!!!

Brie Wheelwright said...

I agree with the other posts. You look awesome! Here comes the horror story, but do you remember how I looked? All right then. You look amazing.. and don't worry, stupid people are going to say stuff all the time. At least you are pregnant, imagine if they were saying that and you weren't! I always got the "Are you sure it's not twins?" I got that a lot. Just know they all suck and you are a hot mama!
Love you lots,
Brie

Tayna said...

Laura this is the best post, I should add it to my blog. I got asked if I had more than one baby in there just yesterday. I love stupid people sooooooo much!! Hang in there girlfriend you're in the final stretch. . . I still can't find that sticky with the info from my midwife. :( Just remember warm washcloths off and on for hours. Te he he he he, I'm still laughing over our phone conversation.

Matt Miller said...

oh but you look adorable! seriously. i gained 115 lbs with the twins and people told me i needed to buy tents to wear! so mean.you really do look awesome.